Google’s explanation (definition) of their Page Rank system:
The PR of a page is important, but it is only one of many factors that determines how a page ranks in searches.
- The period of time that a domain has been indexed can be a big factor in rankings. New domains need time for Search Engines to classify them as viable. Six months to a year is the accepted time frame for this to take place.
- Add links on a regular basis. Incoming links at this time remain important with both Google and MSN in determining page rank. Develop a link building program using directory submittals and quality reciprocal links. Reciprocals are not as heavily rated as good one way links but they do count as long as they are relevant to your site’s content and come from quality sites that are also relevant in subject matter.
- If you choose to do reciprocal linking, vary your anchor text routinely. Search engines can determine patterns in links that have anchor text using identical terms. These may be judged as coming from possible link farms.
- Do not totally exclude outbound links from your site. Major search engines expect to see some outbound linking to quality sites. If they do not find these expected links after indexing several times they can view the site itself as not particularly important and your rankings can be negatively affected. Do some out linking to provide valuable resources for visitors.
- Alt Text on images. Some major search engines utilize alt text as a rating factor. Use key words/phrases that are appropriate for the image and page content.
- All pages need content. Do not depend on images to sell your site/product/service to either people or search engines. This approach can result in fewer site visitors than if real information were provided up front. Search Engines also require information to create custom search engine results.
- Add new content – Search engines expect quality sites to be updated.
Websites should be updated at least every six months but your important pages can really benefit by updating every month if possible. This provides returning visitors something new and SEs will tend to visit your site more often if they find frequent updates.
These are some circumstances that can affect page rank and every item except domain age can be controlled by the webmaster.
To have a website achieve page rank and do well in searches requires work, research and keeping up to date on changes in search engine requirements.